Fan Man Yee, a nightclub hostess, was abducted, tortured, and killed in a Hong Kong apartment in 1999 after stealing a wallet from one of her frequent customers. The monsters went on to dismember her body, boil it, and stuff the head into a Hello Kitty doll cushion, earning the moniker Hello Kitty Murder.

A person holding the hello kitty doll in his hand

For a month no one knew where Fan Yee went, no one had any clue until a teenager walked into a police station in 1999 and told officers she was having nightmares about a woman who had been kidnapped, tortured, and murdered. Officers didn’t believe her at first. Despite the fact that she repeatedly requested the officers for days, they ignored her.

However, when she explained that her nightmares were about a woman she’d helped murder.The officers followed her back to the apartment, upon entering the officers were immediately hit by the secent of decompositon, but that wasn’t the only thing that they noticed, the five bedroom apartment was filled with hello kitty dolls, the walls, the decoration and even the furniture was hello kitty dolls.

Worse, the officers discovered a woman’s head sewn inside an oversized Hello Kitty Doll. The officers were now convinced that the girl’s nightmares were real.

The prosecutor in the murder case of Fan Yee described the case as the most disgusting murder case in his opening statement.

What led to the Hello Kitty Murder?

In 1997, Fan Man Yee, a 23-year-old nightclub hostess, met Chan Man-lok, a 34-year-old man who was a regular at the nightclub and Fan Yee was his favourite hostess. They met in a nightclub and quickly realised they had something in common.

A picture of Fan Man Yee holding her son
Fan Man Yee with her son

Fan Yee was a drug addict and prostitute, and Chan was a pimp and drug dealer. When Fan Yee stole his wallet one night, Chan demanded that she return the money and some additional fees. However, she returned the money immediately but needed more time to arrange for the additional fee.

This angered Chan Man, who kidnapped Fan Man Yee with the help of Leung Shing-cho, Leung Wai Lun, and Chan Man’s 14-year-old girlfriend, Ah Fong. She was taken to an apartment and held for a month. Initially, Chan Man intended to profit from Fan Man Yee by providing her as a prostitute to others.

Life of Fan Man Yee

Fan Yee suffered throughout her life, from childhood to adolescence. As a child, she was raised in an all-girls home after her family abandoned her. She had to leave the orphanage when she turned 15 because they had an age limit. Fan Yee became homeless and developed a drug addiction. She was a sex worker until she was 21 years old.


As if prostituting Fan Yee wasn’t bad enough, they started torturing her, raping her, burning her skin, and forcing her to eat human faeces for more than a month. According to Ah Fong, they kicked her head around 50 times, in which she also joined in. They added spices on her wounds, burned her with candle wax, and hot plastics.

Worst of all, she was forced to smile and say she enjoyed the beating, and if she refused, she was subjected to even more torturous treatment.

Hello Kitty Murder case

Fan Yee, 23, succumbed to her wounds after a month of imprisonment and torture, and died while her captors were out with drug addiction. They discovered her body in the bathrom they had locked her in. They dismembered her body in the bathtub and began dismantling the pieces.

After all of the flesh had been removed, they swen her head into a Hello Kitty mermaid doll and hid various body parts in different places. They also decorated the entire apartment with the Hello Kitty doll for some strange reason.

The investigation and trial of Fan Yee

No one seemed to report anything about Fan Yee for a month, from the time she was kidnapped to the time she died. It wasn’t until 14-year-old Ah Fong walked into the police station and said she was having nightmares about the woman she helped murder, that’s when the outside world learned about her.

Two images of Fan Man Yee's kidnapper, Chan Man Yo. On left, he his holding a board with informaion to why his is inside hte prison, and another image of him in prison.

Ah Fong testified against Chan Man and his two accomplices, in exchange for immunity, to rid herself of the haunting she claimed to be experiencing, she detailed the tortured and the monsters that put Fan Yee through the experience.

Police arrested Chan Man and his two accomplices, they built a damning case with a significant amount of phusical evidence.

Unfortunately, the examiners were unable to determine the exact cause of Fan Yee’s death because her remains were in such a bad state. The jury determined that the remains were insufficient to determine whether Fan Yee was murdered or died in some other manner.

The jury was unable to find that they intended to kill Fan Man Yee, who was 23 years old at the time, which would have resulted in a mandatory life sentence, but they did find that she died as a result of their abuse.

Justice Peter Nguyen who sentenced the trio in prison, stated:

“Never throughout the years in Hong Kong has a court heardsuch cruelty, depravity, callousness, brutality, violence andviciousness, perpetrated by a human being, or human beings, onanother human being. Even an animal would not have been maltreated in the sameway as that received by the deceased.”

Fan Yee’s son never met his mother, but he wears a necklace in her honor, and her husband, Ng Chee-yun, was satisfied with the sentence, “But how can I ever forget?”

Now that you’ve read about Hello Kitty Murder, read about the Hporrying murder of Junko Furuta. You might also like to read about the case of Ariel Castro.